Nacha is a nonprofit organization that convenes hundreds of diverse organizations to enhance and enable ACH payments and financial data exchange within the U.S. and across geographies. Through the development of rules, standards, governance, education, advocacy, and in support of innovation, Nacha’s efforts benefit all stakeholders. Nacha is the steward of the ACH Network, a payment system that universally connects all U.S. bank accounts and facilitates the movement of money and information. In 2019, there were 24.7 billion ACH payments, and more than $55 trillion in value moved across the ACH Network. Nacha also leads groups focused on API standardization and interoperable payment information exchange.
Nacha Core Values
Being a team member of Nacha means adopting and living our Core Values. As the problem solvers and consensus builders who enable payments to securely reach virtually every American, WE ACHieve success through teamwork, commitment and innovative thinking.
To join Nacha is to exemplify our Core Values by: not sitting on the sidelines but being doers. We don’t shy away from tough problems or long odds - we do what is right, which may not be easy. We foster curiosity and embrace learning to broaden our expertise. We are each great, but together we are better and foster a respectful, diverse and inclusive work culture. And finally, we don’t take ourselves too seriously. We bring our 'A' game and still have fun. We celebrate successes, and have a friendly and fun work environment.
The General Counsel has responsibility for managing Nacha’s legal functions, including human resources, contracts, intellectual property and litigation. Unique to Nacha, the General Counsel also is primarily responsible for the legal foundation associated with development, maintenance, and enforcement of the Nacha Operating Rules, and for maintaining an understanding of payments law generally.
Essential Functions/Core Responsibilities
- Develop and nurture the legal team to work at a highly engaged, best-in-class level; ensuring organizational resiliency and development
- Manage the legal functions of Nacha – as an association
- Ensure that the ACH Network adapts with changes in technology, regulations, and a changing risk environment
- Provide guidance and legal support to Executive Management and the Board of Directors, while appropriately balancing the use of the internal legal team with management of outside counsel to ensure the appropriate legal review at the most efficient cost
- Play a significant role to both educate and support continued dialogue with regulators, financial institutions, regional payments associations and others to help with understanding of the Nacha Operating Rules – and conversely to ensure that the Rules remain relevant by incorporating feedback from key stakeholders related to new innovations, new risk management provisions or other topics as appropriate
- Play an active role in designated industry groups that both further Nacha’s thought leadership, and that provide a good return to the organization
Position will supervise Nacha’s legal team.
Ability to travel to attend necessary meetings, meet with members and partners.
Required Background / Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- An in-depth understanding of the ACH Network, Nacha Operating Rules, payments risk, and the financial services industry, as well as non-profit environments
- Superior verbal and written communications skills
- Proven ability to lead and motivate staff
- Managerial financial skills with ability to budget, plan, and adjust
- Excellent public speaking skills with experience presenting legal materials
- Ability to work well under pressure and maintain professionalism in a dynamic environment
- Must possess at least ten (10) years practice of payments law, including working in a corporate or industry association legal environment, law firm, or a combination thereof
- Ability to serve as a business partner to corporate leaders and build a consensus on complex payments law and business issues
- Possession of excellent analytical, organizational, interpersonal, client relations, and team skills
- A bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university
- A Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school
- Bar Admission in any state or the District of Columbia (active and in good standing)
Named as one of the Best Places to Work in Virginia in 2019 and 2020, Nacha provides a competitive, comprehensive benefits package to include: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life insurance, Short- and Long-term Disability, FSA, 401k with Match, VAC/SICK/HOL, Wellness Reimbursement and promotes a culture that encourages learning and professional development.
If you would like to be a part of a dynamic team, please submit your cover letter and resume to NachaJobs@nacha.org.
Nacha is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.