Department: Communications, Marketing and Sales
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Chief Communications Officer
The Senior Director, Communications is responsible for proactive and reactive Nacha communications. This position leads communications activities, oversees media relations and social media, and is heavily involved with digital strategy, writing and copy editing. The incumbent will also develop and execute communications campaigns in support of the ACH Network and payments enablement initiatives.
Essential Functions/Core Responsibilities
- Develop and execute communications efforts in support of the ACH Network and payments enablement initiatives:
- Conceptualizes, develops and executes multi-faceted Marcomm strategies and plans, typically in the form of campaigns
- Reports on measures of success, as appropriate
- Strengthen the media relations program and advance efforts to promote and protect the reputation and presence of Nacha and the ACH Network in the media
- Respond promptly, accurately and efficiently with media questions and requests and serves as a spokesperson
- Triage and handle media calls after normal business hours as necessary
- Research and draft Issue Briefs and talking points, and prepare subject-matter experts for media interviews
- Support crisis communications response strategies
- Identify and capitalize on earned media opportunities, pitch reporters, and build solid relationships with industry reporters
- Write press releases, statements and articles
- Responsible for the news section of the nacha.org website
- Oversee monitoring and reporting of industry news, and identify emerging issues
- Oversee Nacha’s social media activities to enhance and grow its social presence and support Nacha’s website and other digital technology efforts to improve communications and engagement through these channels
- Manage a master editorial calendar
- Oversee social media reporting for effectiveness
- Establish monitoring capabilities, as needed
- Manage Member NewsLink, Nacha’s electronic newsletter (issued biweekly) highlighting key ACH Network, association and payments enablement initiatives and issues
- Offer strategic counsel on thought leadership and speaking engagement opportunities for senior management; and identify ways to promote those events
- Minimum of one direct report
- Works day-to-day with two external PR firms
Occasional business travel may be required.
Required Background / Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must have proven track record in managing successful, multifaceted communications campaigns
- Be a focused project manager with superior time management and organizational skills to implement projects end-to-end that are on time and within budget
- Excellent writer with ability to distill complex information into compelling messages for different audiences
- Experienced and detail-oriented communications professional who is also a problem solver
- Highly collaborative team member with strong interpersonal skills
- Professional that possesses sound judgment and works well under pressure
- Self-starter with a well-developed aptitude for leading, building, and participating in teams
- Ability to embrace and apply Nacha’s core values
- Currently possess at least five years of direct managerial staff and project oversight, preferably in a nonprofit or financial services setting
- Bachelor’s degree and proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of Cision and HubSpot
- Content administration experience using Drupal 8 CMS
The Senior Director, Communications must possess the ability to:
- Excel in an environment that can be fast-paced and high-pressured, and has the aptitude for meeting tight deadlines
- Can work autonomously and in teams with ability to multitask and shift priorities as needed
- Exhibit professionalism, responsibility and decorum
Nacha is currently operating in a remote capacity with the ability for staff to work in the Herndon, Virginia office on a voluntary basis. The ideal candidate will be located in the greater Washington, DC area, but Nacha is willing to consider exceptional candidates outside of the area.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing and light lifting of boxes and materials are required. This would require the ability to lift files/boxes, open filing cabinets, and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
Nacha provides a competitive, comprehensive benefits package to include: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life insurance, Short- and Long-term Disability, FSA, HSA, 401k with Match, VAC/SICK/HOL, Wellness Reimbursement and promotes a culture that encourages learning and professional development.
If you would like to be a part of a dynamic team, please submit your cover letter and resume to NachaJobs@nacha.org.
Nacha governs the thriving ACH Network, the payment system that drives safe, smart, and fast Direct Deposits and Direct Payments with the capability to reach all U.S. bank and credit union accounts. Nearly 27 billion ACH payments were made in 2020, valued at close to $62 trillion. Through problem-solving and consensus-building among diverse payment industry stakeholders, Nacha advances innovation and interoperability in the payments system. Nacha develops rules and standards, provides industry solutions, and delivers education, accreditation, and advisory services.
Nacha Core Values
Nacha has had the distinct honor of being named one of the Best Places to Work in Virginia for three years in a row.
Being a team member of Nacha means adopting and living our Core Values. As the problem solvers and consensus builders who enable payments to securely reach virtually every American, WE ACHieve success through teamwork, commitment and innovative thinking.
To join Nacha is to exemplify our Core Values by not sitting on the sidelines but being doers. We don’t shy away from tough problems or long odds - we do what is right, which may not be easy. We foster curiosity and embrace learning to broaden our expertise. We are each great, but together we are better and foster a respectful, diverse, and inclusive work culture. And finally, we don’t take ourselves (too) seriously. We bring our ‘A’ game and still have fun. We celebrate successes and have a friendly and fun work environment.
Nacha is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.