Posted January, 10 2018On Jan. 9, 2018, the U.S. Senate released its updated committee ratios and assignments which now reflect the Senate’s 51-49 breakdown and newly-elected Senators Doug Jones (D-Ala.) and Tina Smith (D-Minn.) Republicans now have a one-vote margin in their favor in all committees except the Joint Economic Committee.
Notable Moves for Democrats:
- Senators Cory Booker (D-N.J.) and Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) have been added to Committee on the Judiciary. Both are seen as possible aspirants for the 2020 presidential election.
- Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) is added to the Committee on Finance.
- Newly-elected Senator Doug Jones is assigned to committees on Banking; Health, Education, Labor and Pensions; Homeland Security; and Aging.
- Newly-elected Senator Tina Smith is assigned to committees on Agriculture; Energy; HELP; and Indian Affairs.
- Senator Shelley Moore Capito (R- W. Va.) is assigned to the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources.
- Senator Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) is assigned to the Committee on the Budget.
- Senator Deb Fischer (R-Neb.) is assigned to Committee on Agriculture.
- Senator Jerry Moran (R-Kan.) is assigned to the Committee on Banking.
- Senator Tim Scott (R-S.C.) is assigned to the Committee on Armed Services.
Calendars for 2018:
House 2018 Calendar
Senate 2018 Calendar