This Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document provides answers to common questions regarding the Same Day ACH Rule.
What are the major provisions of Same Day ACH?
The Rule will enable the option for same-day ACH payments through new ACH Network functionality, without affecting existing ACH schedules and capabilities: Originating financial institutions (ODFIs) would be able to submit files of same-day ACH payments through two new clearing windows provided by the ACH Operators :
- A morning submission deadline at 10:30 AM ET, with settlement occurring at 1:00 PM.
- An afternoon submission deadline at 2:45 PM ET, with settlement occurring at 5:00 PM.
- Virtually all types of ACH payments, including both credits and debits, would be eligible for sameday processing. Only international transactions (IATs) and high-value transactions above $25,000 would not be eligible. Eligible transactions account for approximately 99 percent of current ACH Network volume.
- All RDFIs would be required to receive same-day ACH payments, thereby giving ODFIs and Originators the certainty of being able to send same-day ACH payments to accounts at all RDFIs.
- RDFIs would be mandated to make funds available from same day ACH credits (such as payroll Direct Deposits) to their depositors by 5:00 PM at the RDFI’s local time.
- To allow financial institutions and businesses to acclimate to a faster processing environment, as well as to ease the implementation effort, these new capabilities would become effective over three phases beginning in September 2016.
What are the Effective Dates?
The rule would become effective in three phases:
- Phase 1 would become effective on September 23, 2016;
- Phase 2 would become effective on September 15, 2017;
- Phase 3 would become effective on March 16, 2018.