The IRS Refund Opt-In Program was developed by the IRS and Nacha to make it easier for financial institutions to return tax refund credits in cases of suspected error or fraud.
What’s In It For You?
Numerous financial institutions, as well as the IRS and Bureau of the Fiscal Service, leverage Nacha Operating Rules and formats to recover questionable tax refunds sent via ACH PPD credits. The effort aims to improve government and financial institution operations and processing and to prevent future fraudulent refunds.
Participate in the Program
If you would like to participate in the IRS Refund Return Opt-In Program, please download and sign the agreement linked at the bottom of this page, then return it to Nacha. Submissions can be made online or through email to Nacha-Network-Rules@Nacha.org. Alternatively, submissions can be made to the Attn: IRS Refund Return Opt-In Program via fax (703-787-0996) or U.S. Mail (2550 Wasser Terrace Ste 400, Herndon, VA 20171).
Get all the details
For more information, download the Industry Briefing Presentation and supporting documents referenced during the presentation, linked in the resource section:
- External Leads Credit Gateway Rollout Briefing
- Lead Submission Spreadsheet (October 2017)
- IRS External Leads Fact Sheet
- IRS Refund Return Opt-In Program - Program Rules and Agreement - (download)
- IRS Refund Return Opt-In Program - Program Rules and Agreement - (download/online submission)