Nacha brings together diverse stakeholders to develop rules and standards that foster compatibility and integration across a range of payment systems.
- ACH Network, connecting all U.S. financial institutions, enables secure and efficient movement of money and information directly from one bank account to another. Nacha administers and facilitates private-sector Operating Rules for ACH payments, which define the roles and responsibilities of ACH Network participants.
- Quest Operating Rules for Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) enable the distribution of government benefits regardless of state borders. Government entities incorporate the rules in their contracts with private sector service providers. Nacha administers the Operating Rules and works with all interested parties to develop additional standards for related programs.
- Healthcare Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) standard supports HIPAA-compliant transactions between health plans and providers that allow for information to travel with the payment, simplifying accounting procedures for providers. Nacha administers the standard.
Afinis Interoperability Standards is Nacha’s membership-based organization that focuses on rapidly delivering APIs and other financial services standards using innovative and agile processes.
Afinis collaborates openly and globally, working with groups around the world to share learning, reduce duplicative efforts, and create implementable, interoperable, portable standards that lessen friction and improve the ability of diverse stakeholders to partner in bringing innovations more quickly to market.
Working with its member Payments Associations, Nacha offers numerous resources to support financial industry professionals in expanding their skills and knowledge of payment systems.
- Smarter Faster Payments Conference is Nacha’s annual conference where agility meets ingenuity. This unique industry venue is designed for diverse organizations that are driving innovation, delivering value through new solutions and services, and employing these offerings to meet their business needs and transact with their customers.
- Payments Institute features a comprehensive four-day curriculum, delivered in a university-style environment that holistically spans the payments ecosystem. Courses include U.S. and international payment mechanisms, business, risk and security concepts and practices, and emerging technologies.
- The Accredited ACH Professional (AAP) is a professional certification designating that an individual has demonstrated a comprehensive knowledge of all areas of ACH, a deep understanding of and experience in one or more specific ACH subjects, and a broad knowledge of concepts that relate to the payments system as a whole.
- The Accredited Payments Risk Professional (APRP) is a professional certification designating that an individual has demonstrated a comprehensive knowledge of risk management strategies, concepts, and mitigation techniques within the payments ecosystem, while mastering the complexities of risk management for ACH, check, wire, debit, credit and prepaid cards, and emerging and alternative payments.
- Nacha Certified is a voluntary accreditation program for Third-Party Sender organizations (companies that use their own financial institution(s) and account(s) to process and settle ACH payments on behalf of other companies) that want to demonstrate to their customers, their banking partners, and their peers that they are meeting standards established by Nacha that signal sound core practices associated with ACH payment processing.
- Nacha produces the Nacha Operating Rules & Guidelines and other payment-related publications, guides and training materials in hard copy and digital formats, as well as live and prerecorded webinars.
Nacha unites diverse provider and end-user organizations to advance understanding and accelerate collaboration around global financial services interoperability and innovation.
- Nacha Elevation Consulting is Nacha’s consulting arm that helps financial institutions, businesses and other organizations operate more efficiently and capture real savings through the smart integration and optimization of electronic payments. Key areas of expertise include payments strategy, rule writing, customized education, and enablement.
- The Preferred Partner program enables select innovators to showcase and promote their solutions that uniquely contribute to the payments ecosystem by removing friction, increasing ease, accessibility and efficiency, and/or supporting sound risk management and security for ACH payments.
- The Payments Innovation Alliance is a membership group of diverse U.S. and global organizations that come together to support payments innovation through discussion, debate, education, networking and special projects. This collaboration incubates new ideas and initiatives to advance the industry.
- The Affiliate Program is an entry-level membership option for organizations that want to connect at the national level to stay current and expand their knowledge of the Nacha Operating Rules while also helping to influence and enhance the quality of electronic payments moving through the ACH Network.
Jane Larimer, President and CEO
Jane Larimer is President and CEO of Nacha, which governs the modern ACH Network, the payment system driving nearly 27 billion safe, fast payments annually. Jane has led Nacha since July 2019, guiding the association as it builds consensus to advance innovation in the payments industry.
An Ohio native raised in Florida, Jane joined Nacha as its first in-house counsel in 1996 and has also served as the association’s chief operating officer and executive vice president of ACH Network Administration.
Jane holds a law degree from the University of Florida – Fredric G. Levin College of Law. Prior to Nacha, Jane practiced law in Atlanta at a firm now known as Bryan Cave LLP, and earlier worked at NationsBank, now Bank of America.
Nacha Board of Directors
The officers and voting members on the Board of Directors represent a diverse set of depository financial institution voices and oversee the governance and administration of Nacha as ACH Network administrator and industry trade association. The Board strives to be an advocate for the industry, providing guidance and addressing matters of strategic significance to the ACH Network and national association throughout members’ three-year terms.
The Board of Directors:
- Joe W. Hussey, Managing Director, North America Payables & Receivables Product Executive, J.P. Morgan, Chairperson
- Laura J. Listwan, AAP, CTP, Senior Vice President, Head of Commercial Payments Products, Fifth Third Bank, Vice Chairperson
- Russell K. Oatman, Senior Vice President, Division Head, Corporate Treasury Services, First National Bank of Omaha, Secretary/Treasurer
- Jane Larimer, President & Chief Executive Officer, Nacha
- Marlene Barkheimer, President & Chief Executive Officer, Farmers State Bank
- Sarah T. Billings, Senior Vice President, Head of Payments Product, Operations & Strategy, Treasury Management, PNC Bank
- Jason Carone, AAP, APRP, CTP, Product Management Director, Silicon Valley Bank
- Kevin J. Christensen, CISA, CRISC, CTGA, Senior Vice President, Market Intelligence & Data Analytics, SHAZAM, Inc.
- Nicholas J. Drinkwine, Senior Vice President, Senior Director of Enterprise ACH and Wire Operations, Capital One
- Michael Fossaceca, CCM, Managing Director, North America Region Head for Treasury & Trade Solutions, Citibank, N.A.
- Vikram Israni, Chief Financial Officer, Wings Financial Credit Union
- Tina M. Knapp, CPA, Vice President & Director, Payments & Service Support, ESL Federal Credit Union
- Stephen C. Max, Senior Vice President, Head of Transaction Processing Operations, U.S. Bank
- AJ McCray, Managing Director, Head of Corporate Payments, Bank of America
- Tim Mills, AAP, Senior Vice President, Emerging Payments, Regions Bank
- Philip C. Picillo, Esq., CTP, Senior Vice President, Treasury & Payment Solutions, Webster Bank
- William J. Schoch, President & Chief Executive Officer, WesPay
- Carl Slabicki, AAP, CTP, Managing Director, BNY Mellon
- Uma Wilson, AAP, CTP, Executive Vice President, Director of Product Management, UMB Bank, N.A.
- Michelle E. Ziolkowski, CTP, Senior Vice President, Head of Global Payables, Wells Fargo
The ACH Operator Advisor Representatives to the Board:
- Dave Fortney, Executive Vice President, Product Development & Management, The Clearing House
- Keith Melton, Senior Vice President & Chief Strategy Officer, Retail Payments Office, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta
ACH Network Advisory Board
The ACH Network Advisory Board serves as a venue for senior executives from a balanced cross-section of corporations, fintechs and other technology providers to communicate directly with the Nacha Board of Directors. The ACH Network Advisory Board engages in dialogue with representatives of the Nacha Board and provides input and feedback on topics significant to the ACH Network and to those who use or support and enable the use of ACH payments by others.
Nacha has continually engaged diverse non-financial institution organizations through membership programs, industry outreach, and various groups and channels within Nacha rulemaking on the development of the ACH Network and the Nacha Operating Rules. The ACH Network Advisory Board is an integral part of this engagement.
Download Related Resources:
The heart of Nacha is its people and dedication to enabling payments that securely reach virtually every American.
Learn more about our values.