Safe, Secure, Reliable.
When nonprofits include ACH a payment method, it benefits your donors, your organization and your mission.
What is ACH?
ACH is better known as Direct Deposit or Direct Payment and is used for depositing salaries and government benefits straight into bank accounts and for paying bills online. This trusted, secure payment method also is a great option for nonprofits to increase their donations and encourage ongoing giving. Using ACH, donors give to your organization directly from their checking or savings account, rather than using a check, cash or card.
How Does Your Nonprofit Benefit by Offering ACH to Donors?
Donations made with ACH reap multiple benefits for nonprofits:
- Lowers Processing Costs. ACH is often less expensive to process than cards and checks. Ask your financial institution or platform provider for details.
- Makes Receiving Donations a Snap. Unlike cash or checks, ACH donations go directly into the organization’s bank or credit union account. There’s nothing to count and nothing to carry.
- Empowers Sustaining Donors. With recurring payments, your donors set up and control the timing and amount of their donations. Those who are sustaining donors tend to continue donating longer when they use ACH.
- Aligns with the Needs of Donors. An increasing number of people don’t carry checks or cash, but they are familiar with electronic payments.
- Provides More Money for the Mission. With lower fees and a reliable donor stream, more of the money can go where it’s intended.
Donors Benefit From ACH, Too!
Key benefits of ACH for donors:
- Easy to Sign Up.
- Set It and Forget It. Recurring donations are automatic, continuous and easy to update, and unlike credit card donations, direct payments never have to be renewed! Bank account numbers are far less likely to change than card numbers.
- Better Value. More of each donation will go to the programs donors care about.
- More Secure. Checks pass through many hands, but ACH uses bank-level encryption to protect the donor’s information.
Get Started with the Nonprofit Toolkit
Our Nonprofit Toolkit has everything you need to get started with ACH Payments.
- FAQs – Learn more about accepting Direct Payments > Download
- Public Radio Success Story – See how a radio station benefited from accepting Direct Payments > Download
- Religious Organization Success Story – Learn how a religious organization saw donations increase after accepting Direct Payments > Download
- Authorization Requirements – Learn what donor information you need when accepting Direct Payment > Download
- Checklist – Straightforward steps to begin accepting Direct Payments > Download
- Enrollment Form (Physical Form) – Template for in-person donation drives > Download
- Enrollment Form (Digital Template) – Designed to help your organization accept Direct Donation on its website > Download
Getting Donors on Board
How Does Your Organization Benefit?
Key operational benefits from ACH for nonprofits:
- Organizational Efficiencies. By bringing ACH into your organization, you can automate your accounts payables by making electronic payments to your vendors and service providers, which can create better cash flow management, along with easier reconciliation and reporting.
- Payment Information Security. Your Direct Payment transactions are safe: Unlike a paper check, which passes through many hands, account numbers remain confidential.
- Save Costs. Eliminate manual check preparation and record-keeping and save on everything from postage and mailing supplies to staff time.
- Process Payroll Quickly. You can process payroll as quickly as the same day – reconciling errors in a flash and ensuring accurate pay for your employees.
- Support Employee Financial Health. With convenient Split Deposit, employees can direct a fixed amount or percentage of their pay into a savings or investment account to help build toward their goals.
For Religious Organizations
Safe, secure, reliable. When your religious organization makes ACH an option, it benefits you, your donors, and your mission.
ACH Quick Start
Additional assistance getting started with ACH can be found using the ACH Quick Start, a tool for your nonprofit to learn how to pay or get paid electronically using ACH.
Connect With Us
On occasion, we will publish updates and information in a newsletter – sign up below. Additionally, follow #ACHGiving to stay up to date on how ACH can help your nonprofit.
Learn more about how adding ACH Payments can improve donor retention and increase sustaining donations by 3-5% or more. Our speakers share how ACH can have a greater impact on your bottom line.