Convener of Diverse Organizations
Creates Broadly Adopted Payments and Financial Messaging Rules/Standards
NACHA creates broadly adopted payment and financial messaging rules and standards through consensus-led governance, international collaboration, and innovative development practices. We continually advance the ubiquitous ACH Network and engage diverse stakeholders to accelerate a digital future of global financial services interoperability.
NACHA brings together diverse stakeholders to develop rules and standards that foster compatibility and integration across a range of payment systems.
- ACH Network, connecting all U.S. financial institutions, enables secure and efficient movement of money and information directly from one bank account to another. NACHA administers and facilitates private-sector Operating Rules for ACH payments, which define the roles and responsibilities of ACH Network participants.
- Quest Operating Rules for Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) enable the distribution of government benefits regardless of state borders. Government entities incorporate the rules in their contracts with private sector service providers. NACHA administers the Operating Rules and works with all interested parties to develop additional standards for related programs.
- Healthcare Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) standard supports HIPAA-compliant transactions between health plans and providers that allow for information to travel with the payment, simplifying accounting procedures for providers. NACHA administers the standard.
Afinis Interoperability Standards is NACHA’s membership-based organization that focuses on rapidly delivering APIs and other financial services standards using innovative and agile processes.
Afinis collaborates openly and globally, working with groups around the world to share learning, reduce duplicative efforts, and create implementable, interoperable, portable standards that lessen friction and improve the ability of diverse stakeholders to partner in bringing innovations more quickly to market.
Education and Certification
Working with its member Regional Payments Associations, NACHA offers numerous resources to support financial industry professionals in expanding their skills and knowledge of payment systems.
- Smarter. Faster. PAYMENTS Conference is NACHA’s annual conference where agility meets ingenuity. This unique industry venue is designed for diverse organizations that are driving innovation, delivering value through new solutions and services, and employing these offerings to meet their business needs and transact with their customers.
- The Payments Institute features a comprehensive four-day curriculum, delivered in a university-style environment that holistically spans the payments ecosystem. Courses include U.S. and international payment mechanisms, business, risk and security concepts and practices, and emerging technologies.
- The Accredited ACH Professional (AAP) is a professional certification designating that an individual has demonstrated a comprehensive knowledge of all areas of ACH, a deep understanding of and experience in one or more specific ACH subjects, and a broad knowledge of concepts that relate to the payments system as a whole.
- The Accredited Payments Risk Professional (APRP) is a professional certification designating that an individual has demonstrated a comprehensive knowledge of risk management strategies, concepts, and mitigation techniques within the payments ecosystem, while mastering the complexities of risk management for ACH, check, wire, debit, credit and prepaid cards, and emerging and alternative payments.
- NACHA Certified is a voluntary accreditation program for Third-Party Sender organizations (companies that use their own financial institution(s) and account(s) to process and settle ACH payments on behalf of other companies) that want to demonstrate to their customers, their banking partners, and their peers that they are meeting standards established by NACHA that signal sound core practices associated with ACH payment processing.
- NACHA produces the NACHA Operating Rules & Guidelines and other payment-related publications, guides and training materials in hard copy and digital formats, as well as live and prerecorded webinars.
NACHA unites diverse provider and end-user organizations to advance understanding and accelerate collaboration around global financial services interoperability and innovation.
- Elevation is NACHA’s consulting arm that helps financial institutions, businesses and other organizations operate more efficiently and capture real savings through the smart integration and optimization of electronic payments. Key areas of expertise include payments strategy, rule writing, customized education, and enablement.
- The Preferred Partner program enables select innovators to showcase and promote their solutions that uniquely contribute to the payments ecosystem by removing friction, increasing ease, accessibility and efficiency, and/or supporting sound risk management and security for ACH payments.
- The Payments Innovation Alliance is a membership group of diverse U.S. and global organizations that come together to support payments innovation through discussion, debate, education, networking and special projects. This collaboration incubates new ideas and initiatives to advance the industry.
- The Affiliate Program is an entry-level membership option for organizations that want to connect at the national level to stay current and expand their knowledge of the NACHA Operating Rules while also helping to influence and enhance the quality of electronic payments moving through the ACH Network.